The Success Story Of The On-demand Meat Delivery App Licious
Summary: Online meat delivery apps like Licious have led to a rise in the meat delivery industry. Seeing the rising demand from buyers and sellers, entrepreneurs are willing to enter this business. With our blog, discover the growth strategy of this successful food startup loved by millions. Also, know how you can build an app like Licious with simple steps.
The meat delivery industry is huge in India. The Indian Express reports say that 83.4% of males and 70.6% of females in the 15-49 age group eat non-vegetarian food daily, weekly, or occasionally. With so many non-vegetarians in India, it has still been difficult for consumers to get quality meat.
Brands like Licious identified this market gap and came up with the much needed solution. The company also strongly focused on technology advancement in food delivery, using data analytics and machine learning algorithms to optimize its supply chain and improve customer experience.
Want to create an on-demand food delivery app like Licious? Keep scrolling to learn everything about Licious. Let’s begin by understanding its history.
Story Behind the Idea of Licious
Licious was founded in July 2015 by Abhay Hanjura and Vivek Gupta and officially launched in October 2015. The idea of Licious was generated when these two founders were having lunch and realized that the chicken they were having was not of good quality. It was then that they realized they had to build a solution for it and get the best meat to the plates of the meat lovers.
The Indian fish market is estimated to reach 26.6 million metric tonnes by 2026. The growing market indicates a good opportunity for startups and small businesses to invest in quality meat delivery.
Licious saw this market gap as an opportunity and launched the ever-needed meat delivery app. The company started as a small operation in Bangalore, where the founders personally delivered meat and seafood products to customers. This entrepreneurial success story has proved that adaptation to consumer preferences can empower brands to create a robust platform.
Some Engaging Stats of the Licious Meat Delivery App
Licious has solved the Indian market’s one of biggest challenges- getting fresh, non-veg food delivered to home. Even though this food is available at several places, people either had to go a long distance to get it or didn’t receive good quality food. With on-demand meat delivery apps like Licious, all such problems were solved through a single platform.
The target audience quickly adopted the solution. Along with it, the brand also witnessed massive growth in its revenue.
Here are some critical market growth facts that you must know about Licious:
- For March 2023, Licious had total visits of 805.7K (the sum of all visits on desktop and mobile).
- Licious’ global ranking has increased from 77,695 to 73,803.
- Licious received its top traffic on the website from India, USA, and Fiji.
- Its most extensive group of visitors is between the age group of 25-34 years, accounting for about 35.94%.
- The target audience consists of 40.73% females and 59.27% of males.
- Licious generates its most social media traffic from the YouTube platform (about 40.53%), followed by WhatsApp (33.89%).
Licious growth strategy was to build a customer-centric platform. The app is so engaging that it has repeat customers availing its services. Licious has achieved 90% return customers, who account for 85 per cent of its sales, by using D2C as a direct marketing channel to reach out to consumers. Its positive customer reviews and testimonials have helped the brand enhance its reputation.
Licious provides a variety of food categories like seafood, poultry, meats, ready-to-cook, spreads, and dips, enabling the platform to drive in more customers, hence leading to better revenue.
Licious – Company Highlights
The company has expanded rapidly since its launch, and as of 2021, it had a presence in several major Indian cities, including Bangalore, Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, and Chennai. Licious has won several awards for its innovative business model and commitment to quality, including the Economic Times Startup Awards and the CNBC TV18 Startup Awards.
|Founders||Abhay Hanjura and Vivek Gupta|
|Industry||eCommerce (fresh meat and seafood)|
|Product/services||Fresh meat and seafood|
|Revenue (FY 2022)||6,657 million rupees|
|Orders per day||More than 17,000|
|Ratings||App Store (4.7 ratings) Play Store (4.1 ratings)|
|Social media presence||Instagram (48.5k followers) Facebook (25k followers)|
USPs of Licious
Licious is not just an ordinary on-demand meat delivery app; it has worked hard to make its services stand out from the competition. The platform has several USPs that make it a quality platform and addictive to its users. Its USPs include:
- Farm-to-Fork Approach: Licious owns the entire back-end supply chain and cold chain, ensuring the quality and freshness of its products.
- Value-added Services: Licious offers various value-added services such as marination, ready-to-cook options, and subscription-based services, making it a one-stop shop for all meat and seafood needs.
- Commitment to ESG Compliance: Licious is the first brand in the sector to commit to full ESG compliance and has formed a task group to achieve this goal.
- Fast Delivery: Licious delivers orders within hours of the order being placed so that its users can prepare fresh food with quality ingredients.
- Subscription Concept: Licious has a subscription concept that lets users buy things and schedule online deliveries in advance.
- Quality Assurance: Licious follows strict quality control measures, including stringent hygiene standards, to ensure the products are safe for consumption.
Licious Business Model Explained
Before we get into Licious’s market stats and growth, let’s first look at how this model works. Licious follows strict safety and quality rules to ensure that each product is safe to consume. It provides a wide range of fresh meat products so its users can make delicious food at home without worrying about getting quality meat and other non-vegetarian foods.
Here is how the Licious Business Model Works:
- Sourcing: Licious sources fresh meat and seafood directly from farmers and fishermen to ensure the highest quality and freshness.
- Processing: The meat and seafood are then processed and packaged in state-of-the-art facilities that meet the highest hygiene and safety standards.
- Ordering: It provides a large diversification of product range. Customers can order through the Licious app or website, selecting from meat and seafood products, including chicken, mutton, fish, and shellfish.
- Delivery: Licious delivers the orders directly to the customer’s doorstep, ensuring that the products are delivered fresh and on time.
- Quality assurance: Licious has a team of quality control experts who ensure that every product meets its stringent quality standards.
- Customer service: Licious offers excellent customer service and has a dedicated customer support team to assist users with any confusion or issues they may have.
- Expansion: Licious has expanded rapidly since its inception in 2015 and has grown to over 14 cities in India, with plans to expand further. They have also introduced new products such as marinades, spreads, and ready-to-cook meals.
Licious: How Does This Meat Delivery App Make Money?
Since launching Licious in the market, it has won customers’ hearts. The target audience quickly adopted the idea of fresh meat being delivered within a few hours. As per the Statista reports, below is the revenue generated by Licious over the years.
- Financial year 2020- 1,254 million rupees
- The financial year 2021- 4,084 million rupees
- The financial year 2022- 6,657 million rupees
As seen in the data above, Licious has always seen manifold growth in its revenue for the last three financial years. All this money has been generated from meat, seafood, marinate, and egg sales.
As per the reports, Licious generates 92% of its revenue from products and services, while 8% is gained from other investments. Revenue models followed by Licious are:
The first way that Licious makes money is through delivery charges. As per the company’s information, it charges rupees 39 (including GST) for all deliveries.
Another common revenue method used by Licious is advertising. It allows other brands to run their ads in return for a specific fee.
Ready to Build the Next Licious? Start Today!
Do you love the idea of Licious and planning to do something similar? If yes, ValueAppz is the perfect solution for all your business needs. With our expertise in food delivery app development services, we will make sure that your app satisfies both buyers and sellers with our robust tech stack and knowledge.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Makes Licious Unique?
Firstly, the company provides a range of products and services to its users. Secondly, Licious promises to deliver fresh and high-quality food.
2. What is the Unique Selling Proposition of Licious?
The USP of Licious is that its food is always fresh, never frozen, and has a 2-day shelf life.
3. Is the Meat Delivery Business Profitable?
Yes, the meat delivery industry is profitable. One of the best examples of a meat delivery app is Licious, which has earned significant profits with its idea.
4. Can I Sell Meat Online?
Yes, you can sell meat online. By creating an app for meat delivery, you can ensure that all non-veg lovers get their fresh food delivered within a few hours. The meat delivery app will also help you bring the local sellers online, ensuring all orders are met well on time.
5. Is Licious a Profitable Company?
Licious is a profitable company, and the numbers prove it all. It registered 64.3% growth in FY22 compared to FY21. Its meat, seafood, marinate, and egg sales helped Licious generate good profits.
6. How Much does it Cost to Build an Online Meat Delivery App?
On average, an on-demand meal delivery app can cost between $15,000-$60,000. Further, factors like features, app complexity, design, development team location, and skills can affect the price of the meat delivery app development.
7. How Fast does Licious Deliver?
Licious promises to deliver within 90-120 minutes based on the city. It also allows users to schedule deliveries for better convenience.
As a technical content writer my focus is on creating high-quality, engaging, and informative content that simplifies complex technical topics. Throughout my career, I have continuously pursued opportunities for growth and development, refining my skills and expanding my knowledge base.